1. am = is used for the first person pronoun - I.
Example: a) I am a boy.
b) I am a student.
2. is = is used for singular noun such as boy, woman, school, Johnny and singular pronoun such as it,he, she.
Examples: a) Maria is beautiful.
b) He is my classmate.
c) It is warm today.
3. are = is used when the subject is plural and for the pronouns - we, they and you.
Examples: a) We are old classmates.
b) The teachers are busy with their lessons.
Practice Tests: Supply the correct form of the present tense of the verb "to be".
1. The weather today ____ bad.
2. You ___ a liar.
3. Henry and Johnny ___ cousins.
4. We ___ brothers.
5. I ___ a student.
6. She and Maria ___ both good singers.
7. It __ a mistake.
8. They ___ both teachers.
9. The sky ___ blue.
10. He ___ a smart boy.