the girl hat = the girl's hat
the lady umbrella = the lady's umbrella
the children books = the children's books
John car = John's car
When a noun ends in s, form the singular possessive by adding an apostrophe s ('s):
the boss desk = the boss's desk
Charles laptop = Charles's laptop
When a noun ends in s, form the plural possessive by adding only an apostrophe ('):
the ladies handbags = the ladies' handbags
the girls umbrellas = the girls' umbrellas
Please note that the possessive is used even when the noun modified is not expressed:
He went to Joey's. ( Joey's house)
Mr Cruz has an appointment at the dentist's. (dentist's office).
Choose the correct possessive form of nouns in the following sentences:
1. I buy my clothes at (Santos's, Santos') Store.
2. Bring these flowers to (Charles's, Charles') mother.
3. They sell (ladies's, ladies') handbags.
4. John and (Mary's, Marys') father is in the Philippines.
5. The (Philippines's, Philippines') islands are about 7,100.
6. The librarian keeps all the (childrens', children's) books.
7. Joe cleans the (boss's, boss') chair.
8. The (mice's, mices') tails are cut by a curving knife.
9. Let's go to (Jess's, Jess').
10. I will go to the (doctor's, doctors') this afternoon.